2015 was our second year at the Finney Law Firm, and what a year it was!
Last year — our first year — we largely put the basics of our team in place. This year was the year to deepen our bench and to drive home even better results for clients. We delivered on that challenge:
- Amazingly, we brought home our third “win” from the U.S. Supreme Court. As is explained more in this blog entry, two of the three wins were won with paper pleadings only; we had only one oral argument. Further, each of the three victories resulted in the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals decision being reversed or vacated, but the matters were remanded back to the trial court or appellate court for more proceedings. As a result, we continue to await final disposition of each of the cases.
- We won other important victories for clients, including a class action victory against the Indian Hill School District where we obtained (ultimately, by settlement) a $5.5 million refund for taxpayers because of an illegal tax and for the Ohio Republican Party against Cuyahoga County for long-sought public records.
- Our title company, Ivy Pointe Title, LLC, closed a record number and dollar volume of residential and commercial transactions.
- We broadened and deepened our transactional practice with the addition Dylan Sizemore, an Iraqi war veteran who is practicing in the area of real estate, corporate and estate planning.
- We brought a new class action lawsuit for products liability.
- We argued cases to preserve our client professional licenses, and handled an increases volume of mediation, arbitration, litigation and appellate cases.
- We settled three major civil cases involving abuse of school children.
Thank you — as an employee, as a client, as a vendor — for your continued support for this undertaking. It has been enormously rewarding for each of us to be a part of it.